Sunday 24 July 2011

The Phil-Harmonic Podcast Episode 12

THE IBIZA SPECIALS PART 1 - IBIZA LOVES HOUSE MUSIC

Hola EDM fans.

As mentioned at the end of my last entry, what I would call ‘normal’ episodes of TPHP are taking a break until early September. But, never fear, the music does not fall completely silent. Far from it!

I fly out to the spiritual home of dance music, Ibiza, in less than a month. The villa is booked; the excitement building. To celebrate another much anticipated return to the White Isle and to get you all in that sunny, holiday season mood, I’ve got 3 ‘Ibiza Specials’ in the pipeline for you. This is the first.

The trinity of EDM is house, trance and techno. All three of those styles have a home in Ibiza; all play their part in giving the Balearic hotspot its rich, cultural atmosphere. But anyone who has been to Ibiza knows that it is house music that rules the roost. In Ibiza you don’t just get house music; you get the best house music.

And since there hasn’t actually been much house music in this podcast so far, I thought it was about time I put together a proper house set – something a bit more accessible for the radio listening public to get their teeth into. The vast majority of tracks in this set are ones I’ve been building up over the course of the last 18 months or so – some real favourites that I’ve simply not had chance to play.

In the opening 40 mins or so I really tried to be as true to the real spirit of Ibizan house music as I possibly could – in particularly opening with a track that pretty much defines the island. Dennis Ferrer’s Sinfonia Della Notte was a tune I picked up on whilst browsing the Ibiza-Spolight forums ahead of a previous holiday in 2009. All the house heads there seemed to agree it was one of the finest records of that year. The mix proceeds to turn up the heat pretty quickly but does its best to be as rhythmic and percussively-driven as possible. Plenty of jazzy tribal vibes and sunny continental touches!

After that we take a pretty sharp change of direction and get into the types of house music that are more likely to be frequenting the clubs and radio stations in this country. You get the full spectrum of electro and ‘big room’ house here, stretching from the low rolling synths of Laidback Luke’s Timebomb, to the warbling stabs of DirtyLoud and Lazy Rich, to the trancey touches of Tiësto and Hardwell’s Zero 76. Plenty of kick, plenty of bass!

There are a few oldies in there too. Electrixx’s cheeky Tetris remake will forever remind me of Tiësto smashing up Privilege in 2009. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to do a house set without playing Deadmau5’s remix of Calvin Harris’ Merrymaking At My Place. And no series of ‘Ibiza Specials’ would be complete without at least one version of Three Drives’ famous ‘waterfall tune’, Greece 2000 – in this case the epic Chris Reece remix.

In all honesty, since I cut my teeth as a DJ mixing hard dance music, house music is something I’ve really had to work at to get comfortable with. Considering this type of music isn’t exactly my forte, I’m really pleased with this mix. I hope it does the business for you!

THE PHIL-HARMONIC PODCAST 012 - IBIZA LOVES HOUSE MUSIC

1. Dennis Ferrer – Sinfonia Della Notte [Strictly Rhythm] <<<(Phil's Tune Of The Episode)>>>
2. Luigi Rocca & Pleasurekraft - Nostromo [Hotfingers]
3. Peter Gelderblom & Blacktron - Burn It Up [Spinnin' Deep]
4. Bass Kleph – I’ll Be OK (Superskank Remix) [Definitive Recordings]
5. Riva Starr - I Was Drunk [Made To Play]
6. Truelove - Get Down [Loud Bit Records]
7. Soundshaperz - Cocaine [Confidence Recordings]
8. Nadia Ali, Starkillers & Alex Kenji – Pressure [Spinnin' Records]
9. Federico Scavo - Let's All Chant (Manuel De La Mare & Marshall Remix) [Hotfingers]
10. Laidback Luke feat. Jonathan Mendelsohn - Timebomb (Instrumental) [New State Music]
11. Dada Life - White Noise / Red Meat [Dim Mak Records]
12. Calvin Harris – Merrymaking At My Place (Deadmau5 Remix) [Do It Yourself Entertainment]
13. Three Drives – Greece 2000 (Chris Reece Remix) [S2 Records]
14. DirtyLoud - School Of Funk [Bugeyed Records]
15. Aaren San - Apes From Space (DirtyLoud Remix) [Plasmapool]
16. Sami Saari - The Punch [Captured Music]
17. Fast Foot - Protect Animals (Lazy Rich Remix) [Sick Slaughterhouse Recordings]
18. Electrixx - Tetris [EXX Records]
19. Mord Fustang - Lick The Rainbow [Plasmapool]
20. Spencer & Hill – Less Go! (Porter Robinson Remix) [Bazooka]
21. Steve Angello - KNAS [Size Records]
22. Tiësto & Hardwell – Zero 76 [Musical Freedom]
23. Phatzoo - Twisted Tweak [Just For Fun Recordings]
24. ENCORE :  Swedish House Mafia – One [EMI]

Part 2 arrives on the 6th of August. Got another dose of summer for your iPods. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment