Sunday 25 August 2013

The Phil-Harmonic Podcast Episode 70



The August bank holiday weekend. Oh my word, let me compose myself.

What a weekend it has been. My Ibiza void has been filled, or at least partly filled, by two UK festivals this summer. Last month it was Global Gathering. This weekend it was leg two. SW4, just a few tube stops up the Northern Line, on Clapham Common.

The weather was horrific - a morning drizzly mist, followed by a 4pm downpour the like of which I've not seen since my Bristol days. But there were no dampened spirits. In fact, spirits were almost as high as the mud on our wellies and jeans. The weather actually made it more of an experience.

I had an amazing evening. It all seemed so short. And after pretty short spells with Sander Van Doorn and Eddie Halliwell, I only really got to see Aly & Fila, W&W, Paul Van Dyk and Armin Van Buuren. I'm not sure whose idea it was to actually put W&W on sandwiched between Aly & Fila and Paul Van Dyk and Armin Van Buuren was actually the weakest I've ever seen him play but, even so, I was in my element and loving every moment. We heard Apache twice. Nuff said!

As mentioned in last week’s blog, I've gone through a brief period where a lot of the slower tempoed releases in EDM and trance haven’t really floated my boat much. Add to that the fact that so many of my recent favourites were crammed into the extended version of Episode 67. Of late I've done a lot more in the mid to high tempo range and, in a way, this episode picks up some of the loose ends that I haven’t been able to put into recent offerings – usually because they didn't fit.

I did a bit of complaining on Twitter today that Armin Van Buuren’s set at SW4 was too trousey and soft. And it was. It was basically just a run through of Intense and an opportunity to roll out surprise guest Trevor Guthrie. It wasn't the Armin Van Buuren that I've loved as a DJ for the last 5 years or so.

But maybe it’s a bit rich of me to complain because the opening of this episode is definitely in that sort of new school EDM bracket, the bracket I don’t particularly want the world’s best DJ going anywhere near. But the fact that I'm playing stuff like this means I do very much have time for it as music. As always it’s about context and delivery.

Highlights for me this week are Starkillers’ track on Sander Van Doorn’s label, Ride, the new collab between W&W and Hardwell (which I'm sure we heard at SW4) and the noise-fest that is Bangover. The Cube by Ummet Ozcan brings back nice memories of Global Gathering.

 THE PHIL-HARMONIC PODCAST EPISODE 70

1. Starkillers - Ride [Doorn Records]
2. Hardwell & W&W - Jumper [Revealed Recordings] <<<(Phil's Tune Of The Episode)>>>
3. Sick Individuals - Chase [X]
4. Don Diablo & Matt Nash - Starlight (Could You Be Mine) [Axtone]
5. Juventa - Beauty Catch [Enhanced Progressive]
6. Lange - A Different Shade Of Crazy [Lange Recordings]
7. Tomac - Ballista [Silent Shore Records]
8. Giuseppe Ottaviani - Feel The Music [Black Hole Recordings]
9. Mike Hawkins & Pablo Oliveros - Bangover [Tone Diary]
10. Ummet Ozcan - The Cube [Spinnin Records]
11. Jochen Miller - Red One [High Contrast Recordings]
12. Richard Durand ‎– Predator Vs Cha Cha [Terminal 4] <<<(The Phil-Harmonic Golden Oldie)>>>


No comments:

Post a Comment